Summer is in and so are the coolers. Here I am sharing my way of making the easiest and the most common one of them all, Buttermilk. Actually it is also one of the healthiest of all coolers. Just imagine going out in the Indian summer and coming back home to a chilled glass of buttermilk. Seems like a boon.
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 cups chilled water
- 1 tsp ginger (grated)
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 dry red chili (broken into 3 pices)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves – 2 tbsp to garnish
- Whisk the Yogurt add water to it and stir.
- Add ginger, salt and set it aside
- Tempering: Heat oil in a skillet add mustard, curry leaves and red chillies once they begin to splutter add asafoetida/hing .
- Pour the tempering into the buttermilk mixture and stir well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve chilled.
Grind coriander leaves, green chillies, ginger, garlic into a fine paste and add it to the buttermilk. The tempering remains the same excluding the red chillies, as we are using green chillies in the ground paste. Add salt to taste, stir well and Masala Buttermilk is ready to be served. Feel free to share your ideas too!