Thursday, April 21, 2011
Konkani Cuisine- Sweet and Savory Appe (Paniyaram)
Dosa rice- 2 cups
Udad dal - 1 cup
Thick Poha (beaten rice)- 2 fistful
Methi seeds - 1/4 th tsp
1. Wash and clean the rice and udad dal with water atleast 2-3 times, drain the water.
2. Soak the rice, udad dal and methi seeds in clean water for 4-5 hours.
3. Just before grinding, clean and soak the thick poha in water for a 5 minutes.
4. Drain the water and add the poha to the rest of the ingredients and grind it into a fine paste with enough water.
The dough should not be too runny nor too thick.
After grinding empty the dough into a clean vessel add salt as per your taste, cover and keep it over night and let it ferment.
1.Mix the dough well as it would've risen due to over night fermentation.
2. Spoon as much dough u require into a smaller vessel.
3. Now to the dough that you've taken into a smaller vessel add 1 finely chopped onion, 1 sprig finely chopped curry leaves, 2 springs of finely chopped coriander leaves, 1 finely chopped green chilli .Mix well.
4. Heat the appe/paniyaram kadhai drizzle little oil in each groves and spoon the prepared batter into the grove, about 3/4th of each grove is to be filled.
5. Drizzle a little oil on each of the dough filled groves, cover and cook it on medium -high flame, keep checking occasionally.
6. Once the lower side of the doughs are golden brown, carefully turn it over to the other side and cook till done.
7. Serve hot with chutney of your choice.
Dosa rice- 2 cups
Thick Poha (beaten rice)- 1 handful
Crushed Jaggery- 3/4th cup
Salt to taste
1. Soak the rice for 4-5 hours
2. Just before grinding, wash and soak the poha in water for 5 minutes.
3. Grind the rice with the rest of the ingredients and poha using enough water into a dough that is not too fine nor coarse
4. Empty the dough into a clean vessel and cover it and let it ferment for at least 5 hours.
Follow the same method as done for the savory appes, the exception here is that u can directly spoon the batter into the appe kadhai as it is already sweetened.
This recipe goes to Srivalli's Breakfast Mela