Vanilla sponge cakes dressed in pinaeapple mascarpone icing and coffee mascarpone icing
Hello foodies :) the long awaited home- made mascarpone cheese is atlast histroy in my kitchen :) yes!! this was the one thing I'd been eyeing for a very long time...but was'nt sure "to make or not to make" Then Parita's post came as a tempter which I couldnt resist ;) and I had to be done with it ..so made it the very next day.
The crazy bug that I am...I started jumping with joy at the last stage of the cheese making process...lol, and after refrigerating it ...I used to peep into the container every 30mts .. that says it all isnt it!!! The final product was kinda thrilling...lol(Coz I was reeeeeeeeeeeeally ealted, thrilled and what not!)
When in Chennai, I had to shell a bombarding price for a tin of mascarpone ...which I had bought to make Tiramisu :) The experience of making mascarpone cheese at home is simply superb and super easy..and all thanks to Parita !!! Thanks sweetie :) for that little encouraging push! :)
here's the recipe for mascarpone cheese from her blog
I was in an experimentation mode so made 2 eggless vanilla sponge cakes :), not the same day though ;) baked one cake in a round tin and another in a loaf tin...
The recipe for the cake is as follows:
Eggless Vanilla Sponge Cake:
Recipe adapted from: one of the bakes from collaborative curry , Thanks dearies :)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup oil
1 & 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup cold water
How to get started:
1. pre-heat the oven to 180*C , grease a baking tin and set it aside
2. Sieve the flour, sugar , baking powder and salt a couple of times and ensure it's lump free
3. Add the vanilla essence, oil and gently stir once, then slowly add water and keep stirring gently till the cake batter consistency is reached.
4. Pour the batter in the greased tin and bake for 25-30 mts, or till a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
5. Remove from the oven and cool completely before decorating/icing.
* Note: Both the icing called for Whipping cream, I omitted it...the final result was still mmmmmmmmmmmmm :)
Coffee Mascarpone Icing:
4 &1/2 tsp instant coffee powder
1 tbsp hot water
1 cup chilled whipping cream ( I didnt use it )
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
pinch of salt
How to proceed:
- Stir coffee powder and water in a bowl till disolved set it aside.
- sieve sugar and make it lump free, set it aside.
- Add mascarpone, (whipped cream), vanilla essence, salt, coffee mixture in a wide mouthed vessel and beat until thick and smooth, to form firm peaks * dont over beat for it may curdle.
- The coffee mascaropne icing is ready to adorn ur cake :)
Pineapple Mascarpone Icing:
1 cup mascarpone cheese
3/4th cup powdered sugar
1&1/2 tsp pineapple essence
1-2 tsp cold milk
How to proceed:
- sieve the powdered sugar to make it lump free
- In a wide mouthed bowl add the mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar, pineapple essence and beat till thick and smooth, you may add a spoon or tow of cold milk to get the desired consistency. dont over beat as it may tend to curdle
- The Pineapple mascarpone icing is ready to dress the cake :)
Have a great week ahead!
Take care! Be Good ! Be Happy!!