Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Dahi Aloo


Aloo is an all time favourite in my home. Almost everyday there is some or the other aloo dish on my dining table. This high demand for aloo has made me do all sorts of things, from trying the regular recipes to mixing and matching recipes to cooking up some of my own. However there is one aloo recipe that I had come across sometime ago but never tried it. Last Sunday I wasn't in the mood to make something elaborate and so decided to make Dahi Aloo.
Ingredients:
  • Boiled potatoes - 2 (large)

  • Curd - 2 cups (whisked)

  • Green chillies - 2

  • Coriander leaves - a handfull (chopped finely)

  • Ginger - 1" piece

  • Onion - 1/2 cup (finely chopped)

  • Mustard - 1 tsp

  • Urad dal - 1/2 tsp

  • Cumin(Jeera) - 1/2 tsp

  • Hing - a pinch

  • Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp

  • Curry leaves - 5-6

  • Ghee/oil - 1 tsp

  • Red chilli - 1

  • Salt to taste

Method:

  • Cut the boiled potatoes into tiny chunks and make holes in them using a fork

  • Finely chop the onions, ginger and green chillies

  • Take all the above in a vessel, add the whisked curd to it, add salt and keep it aside

  • Heat the ghee/oil in a small pan and add mustard, jeera, urad dal and red chilli.

  • When the mustard and jeera begins to splutter, add curry leaves and hing to it

  • Take it off the flame, add this seasoning to the potato and curd mixture and gently mix all the ingredients well

  • Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves

  • Refrigerate this for 1/2 an hour and serve chilled

Isn't it an easy, simple and quick dish for the days you hate to cook?

4 comments:

Priya said...

When I got the US my father kept nagging me that potatoes were the only vegetables we were eating (though it was not the case!). So I nearly stopped using them in my kitchen :O They are slowly finding their way back though :) This sounds like the perfect dish when the dahi poori or dahi wada cravings kick in, hehe.

SINDHURA said...

Hai suparna!!
This is Sindhura of Bayleaf.Due to technical problems in my blog you cannot my post updates to ur dashboard hence i request you to follow http://sindhura-desifoodie.blogspot.com
Also inviting you to participate in the bread mania event.
Best regards
Sindhura

Suparna said...

Thanks for the invite Sindhura :) will definitely take part in the event.

Rgds

Mangala Bhat said...

hey suparna ...thanks for your comments at my blog ..i am glad that u liked my blog ...i liked yours too ...hey dahi aloo is new recipe for me. i never heard about it, will surely try this ..thanks for the recipe :)