Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sugarless Energy Bar




When hunger pangs strike and you want to avoid any kind of junk food, this is when the Energy bar comes into picture. I am a junky to the core,but decided to give it all up and binge on healthier stuff. So, read aboutEnergy bar , and decided to give it a try finally. But there is a twist in the tail ....err tale ;) I read a couple of recipes for Energy bars and thought I'll experiment to make something different. The experimental bug made me do this and here is how I went about.
Ingredients:
  • 1 Cup porridge oats
  • 1 Cup Atta (wheat flour)
  • 1/2 Cup walnuts (roasted,partially powdered)
  • 1/2 Cup Almonds (roasted,partially powdered)
  • 1/2 Cup raisins
  • 1/2 Cup Honey
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp Vanilla essence
  • 4-5 tbsp milk
  • 1 tbsp melted butter

Method:

Take a wide bowl . Put wheat, oats, baking powder,baking soda and mix well with a wooden spatula. Now add almonds, walnuts, raisins and mix well . Finally add milk, vanilla essence,butter, honey into the above mixture and mix well such that all the ingredients bind well. Grease a square baking tin and spread the mixture evenly and flatten on top.

Pre-heat the oven and bake the preparation for 25 minutes at 200* C (bake until a knife comes out clean when pierced in the tin). Once it is done, allow to cool and cut them into medium sized rectangles. Wrap them in aluminium foil and refrigerate it .

The energy bars that I made were not very sweet ( wanted it that way) people who prefer it sweet can add 1 cup of honey instead of a half cup.

12 comments:

Pavithra Kodical said...

First time here..Nice layout. I would love to have these as a snack..Healthy and delicious..

Unknown said...

Hi
welcome to bloging world thank you so much for your comment in my place keep bloging

Sujatha said...

Hi, Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving comments.. You are rocking already with two new interesting recipes, very nice..:) Keep rocking and Happy Blogging!

Suparna said...

@ pavithra, ya these energybars are very filling and make a great snack :0 Thanks for the appreciation. Keep coming.

TC

Suparna said...

-Rekha Thanks for dropping by I would love to hear from you more often :)

-Sujatha Thanks for the encouragement I really need it :)
keep coming, TC

Deepthi Shankar said...

that looks like something that I like. Nice recipe. I will make a batch of these. Thos will give me energy before I hit the gym. Thanks girl

Raks said...

Hi Suparna,
Welcome to blogging world! Glad you liked my blog,same here:)
Will visit often here after:)

Namrata Kini said...

Those bars are perfect for me. Hunger pangs strike me at odd times. I have all the ingredients except Honey, do u think if substituting with sugar or jaggery would work. I know it won't be a healthy substitute.

Chitra said...

Hi suparna,
Yummy bars:)its good u used honey:)
First time to ur blog:)Nice template.Iam also a new to blogging like u.I am the first follower of ur blog:)very happy:)will see all ur post..Do visit my blog at ur free time and feel free to write ur views.hope u'll like my blog:)

Gayathri said...

Thanks for the lovely comment dear....
Nice layout and yummy healthy bar.
Welcome to Bloggers world....Happy Blogging Suparna. :)

Vikis Kitchen said...

Hi Suparna, First time here.. enjoy my visit very much.. Such a nice blog.
WELCOME TO THE CLUB DEAR:)
Energy bars are perfect and will try it soon.

Suparna said...

Thanks for the visit and comments Chirtra, Viki,Deesha,Rak's Kitchen :)

@Namrata Thanks for the visit.You could definitely substitute honey with sugar or Jaggery.I used honey in this recipe for weight watchers( I am one);)