Friday, February 20, 2009

Lapsi/ Broken Wheat Veggie Upma


Upma is a complete meal in itself. When you make upma with vegetables, groundnut, coconut it comfortably gets into the "healthy food" bracket. As a kid I used to hate upma from the bottom of my heart, and the days amma made upma for breakfast, I would ask her for bread and jam or something else...but wouldn't eat upma. This continued during college days too! but then after getting married I surprised myself as the dislike for upma gradually dissappeared. Now, this is dish is a regular at home. I like having it with ketchup, murabba, pickle, sambar, jam.... :) Talking about upma variations...one cannot ignore the lapsi/broken wheat upma for it's health benifits. For more information on broken wheat/bulgar wheat check here http://www.coolhealthtips.com/recipes/broken-wheat-or-bulgar-wheat-adds-to-your-daily-fiber-intake.html

I follow Tarla Dalal's recipe for making broken wheat upma but with slight changes made by me. You can click here for the original recipe http://www.tarladalal.com/Recipe.asp?id=4650

Ingredients:
1/2 cup broken wheat (dalia/bulgar wheat/lapsi)
1 1/4 cup water
1 green chillie, chopped finely
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1 sprig curry leaves
1/4 cup peas
1/4 cup carrots, chopped
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp grated ginger
1/2 tsp lime juice
2 tsp oil
salt to taste
grated coconut for garnish
Method:
  • Clean the broken wheat thorougly in water ( 2-3 changes of water) drain it well and keep it aside.
  • Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add mustard. When it splutters add curry leaves, once it starts to pop add the grated ginger, green chillie,onion and saute till the onions become translucent.
  • Add the green peas, carrot, broken wheat and saute for sometime. Next add water, salt and mix well. Close the lid of the cooker and cook it for 1-2 whistles.
  • Once the pressure cooker cools, open the lid and let it cool and set for a few seconds then add lime juice and mix well.
  • Tranfer the contents of the cooker to the serving vessel and garnish it with grated coconut.
  • The broken wheat veggie upma is ready to be served :)

5 comments:

sathya said...

A healthy & a hearty dish! i usually make rava upma, dis is quite a diff one, will try it !

Anonymous said...

Hi ...
yea even me also used to make rava upma ..never tried this version ..Will try this for sure ..The upma looks inviting ...simple but delicious ..

love
veena

Suparna said...

Hi veena and sathya, try it you'll love it, it very filling too! yup :)healthy too!

Beyond Curries said...

I also prepare cracked wheat upma all the time Suparna. But as I have mentioned in my post bulgur is different from cracked wheat. You need not cook bulgur. It's already pre cooked wheat broken into pieces. So adding hot water is enough.

Rumela said...

My father is a huge fan of Veggie Upma and I always try to make one for him whenever we see my parents. He has yet to be fully blown away by any of the recipes i've tried.The Photos are amazing... I am already feeling hungry.Can't wait to try it.thank you for shearing your post.

Thanks

Rumela
my site