Bhajji upakari (greens sabzi) is one of my favourite dishes, this is the one dish which marked its presence almost daily on our dining table at Amma's place.The beauty of the dish is.. it's simple, tasty and healthy. Amma says that greens are good for a healthy long life and that's my Ammamma's(grandmother's) health tip passed on to mom and from her to me :)
Greens are amazing store house of nutrition. They are a rich source of minerals (including iron, calcium, potassium, and magnesium) and vitamins, including vitamins K.
Research has it that vitamin K helps to regulate blood clot, protects bones from osteoporosis. Not only that including greens in meals on a regular basis may help prevent diabetes, and protect our eyes from age related problems. So next time when you're shopping for veggies don't think twice when you see those green beauties! :)
The recipe for Bhajji upkari :
2 bunches of spinach
1/4 cup grated coconut
1tsp chana dal
1tsp urad dal
1-2 tsp oil
2-3 dry red chillies, each broken into pieces
6-7 curry leaves
1 tsp sugar/ crushed jaggery
salt to taste
- Finely chop the spinach and soak it in salt water for sometime.
- Drain the water, rinse it once more with fresh water. squeeze out excess water and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadhai/wok add chana dal,urad dal and fry till it lightly browns
- Add mustard, curry leaves, red chillie pieces and wait till it begins to splutter.
- Put in the chopped spinach, sugar/jaggery, salt and saute so that the contents mix well.
- Cover and cook till the greens are completely done by stirring inbetween occassionally.
- Once done sprinkle grated coconut and let it set for sometime.
- Mix well gently just before serving
- Tastes good both with rice and roti.